Friday, June 5, 2009

Should she be released?

I just read an article stating that Susan Atkins is coming up on parole.  If you don't know who she is and don't care to Google her she stabbed and killed actress Sharon Tate back in 1969 as part of the Charles Manson murders.  Susan is dying of brain cancer and is 85% paralyzed.  She is unable to sit up or even be moved into a wheelchair.  Some say this is her penance for murdering a pregnant woman and her unborn child.  Others say only death in prison would right the wrong she's done.

I feel for her and her family.  But I feel for the murdered woman and unborn child more.  This is her 18th parole hearing.  I do wonder if she'll be ordered to continue on as she is.

In a manuscript posted on her Web site, Atkins, who was known
within the Manson family as Sadie Mae Glutz, wrote that "this is the
past I have to live with, and I have to live with it every day."

"Unlike the reader, or the people who seem to think Charles Manson
was cool, I can't think about it for an hour or so and then go on with
my life. Just like the families and friends of the victims, this is
with me every day. I have to wake up every day with this and no matter
what I do for the rest of my life and no matter how much I give back to
the community I will never be able to replace what my crime took away.
And that's not 'neat,' and that's not 'cool.'"

The murdered actress's sister, Debra Tate, states:

"The 'Manson Family' murderers are sociopaths, and from that, they can
never be rehabilitated," Debra Tate said. "They should all stay right
where they are -- in prison -- until they die. There will never be true
justice for my sister Sharon and the other victims of the 'Manson
Family.' Keeping the murderers in prison is the least we, as a society
who values justice, can do."


What are your opinions?

0 comments: