Monday, February 7, 2011

Pet health care

I have a friend in one of my classes who has a small chihuahua that has been ill for the past several weeks. The chi is old (around 14, I believe) and was vomiting, and yelping in pain every time he was touched. He could barely move. Obviously the first thought is maybe it's his time.

The thing is is that she isn't established at any veterinarian. She said that her dogs have never been sick so why should she bother taking them to the vet? Now, maybe it's because I feel that my babies are my babies, and not mere animals, so I'm always taking them in for their yearly shots/check-ups, etc. Maintenance is the best care there is when it comes to both humans AND critter kids. I visit my doctor every 3 months so she can monitor my weight loss and blood pressure. It's just the way it is. Often we're short on cash (more often than not!) and are unable to afford other various things at the time of the check-up...so we end up buying cheaper food (or just not as much that month) so that we have extra to take the babies to the vet (or to see the doctor ourselves).

I don't understand when others don't do the same. If it were a human child, would you neglect taking it in every year for shots and the check-ups? No! Why on earth would you do that for a critter baby?

So needless to say, she was basically forcing this poor little chi to suffer in pain and agony simply because she didn't have any money to take him in. Now, my vet knows us by now, after seeing us every year and whenever there's something that's come up, so we're established with her, and they work with us with payments, etc. when we're unable to pay it all at once. We'll usually give her what we can and then pay the rest off when K gets paid or a school loan comes in. But asking a vet who doesn't know you from Joe Blow across the street to allow you to make payments is ridiculous!

Another friend of mine has a cat who is urinating blood. At the simplest, it's a UTI, at worst it could be any number of things! Both he and his husband aren't working, he is bringing in unemployment, and they are unable to take her to the vet. So this poor kitty is having to suffer because of their ineptness.

I understand not having money. I've been unemployed for going on 2 years now, I'm a student, and we're only making our way on K's checks. We're poorer than we've ever been in my life. But we have NEVER made a concession in our pet's behalf if shots or health care were needed. We do what we need to do in order to get them taken care of. It's just who we are.

I guess what I'm saying is...if you can't afford to care for your pet(s) on a daily/weekly/yearly/emergency basis, then PLEASE find someone else who can. Don't assume that because your pet has never been sick that you don't need to take them in. How do you know it hasn't been sick? Have they told you?

Do you take your pet in for shots/check-ups on a yearly basis? Emergencies? Or do you fall into the category that my two friends do?

I'm not here to bash on anyone. I'm just very frustrated that people do this sort of thing. I'd love to hear your input, for or against this topic. Please, discuss in the comments!

3 comments:

TinaM said...

I would take my cats to the vet every year if I could afford it. For sure. But I just can't. If something is out of the ordinary then of course I do, but other than that it's just not possible. As you said, they are like my childeren, so no I'm not just going to give them away because I can't afford the vet. No one wants adult cats anyway!
If it makes you feel any better I'm the same way with my child. He gets his shots, and if something where to come up OF COURSE. But other than that? His doctor is an ass hole, and I finally decided that until I can get a new one, we're not going unless we have to. And myself? I never go to the doctor... I guess I just don't trust doctors because all I've ever had is bad experiances.

On another note. You are doing SOOO GREAT!!! I am honestly so proud of you! Seeing how well you are doing really makes me want to step my game up lol :) Keep up the good work!

and thanks for checking on me :)

Anonymous said...

If they are truly really good friends of yours why can you not take them to your vet and let the friends pay you as they can? That is what I have done for friends of mine as it is just too hard to watch their animals suffer for lack of a few dollars.

Shauna said...

Although I do plan out for my kids in the scheme of things, I don't plan out for friends' kids. Why should I? As I've stated many times before, we are poor as dirt, but we make do when it comes to cutting corners for our kids' health. Others should be prepared to do the same.