Monday, January 25, 2010

Feels like home to me

So I was thinking the other day about how lucky I am to actually have a "home" to return to.  So many people, my husband included, moved around so much during their childhood that they don't have a particular place that they call home...I'm lucky in that respect.

When I talk about "home" in any fashion...going, back, yada yada...I immediately have one place in mind.  The house where I grew up.  Well, technically I was two years old when we moved there but it's close enough!  My mom and step-dad still live there.  When I was living there for a year and a half not long ago my mom came very close to selling it to purchase a house that would be easier for her/them to navigate as they grew older.  But they realized that it would be cheaper to just upgrade the house now as opposed to sell it as a loss and buy something else with a whole new mortgage.  And so...while it's had numerous face lifts since I was last there it is the same house, the same neighborhood where I grew up.  The same front and back yards.  I love to lay in the grass in the backyard and close my eyes and remember how it was when I was younger.  I let my mind wander to the numerous pets that are buried under the bushes and back to all of the birthday party scavenger hunts we had.  The easter eggs we found.  The mud pies we made before the grass was ever laid.  The tents, the picnics, the summer fun and the winter snow forts.  So many memories in one small 1/4 acre of land.

I remember the long summers as a kid playing kick the can in the cul-de-sac up the street with all the neighborhood kids until we couldn't see through the black night anymore.  I remember playing in the irrigation ditches and orchards across the street and picking wild asparagus.  I remember the cows and horses.  I remember so much.  And I feel so bad for those who don't have the same kinds of memories that I do.  Who can't join facebook and find all the people that they grew up with.  Because, really, some of those memories of mine that revolve around home...are the best ones in my life.  And I'm so glad to have them...so glad to have somewhere to retreat to in my mind when I need to think of a happy place.

I'm so glad that I can always go home...and know where home is.


0 comments: