Monday, March 1, 2010

People like me. They may not like the fact that I'm fat but my personality makes up for it and I make friends quite easily. I have no problems striking up a conversation with a stranger in the checkout line and people have no problems talking to me. I have an inviting aura, I guess.

So what makes me bring this up is there is this guy at the bar that I go to who is so weird. People don't like him. He sits there, by himself at the bar, greasy hair, chain smoking, black leather jacket, earrings. He never buys a drink. He just drinks water with lemon and bugs the customers who dare sit next to him. I don't like him. The bartenders don't like him. People, after sitting next to him for 5 minutes don't like him. He talks to people but it's never an engaging conversation. He claims to be a nurse (and several other professional careers...it changes) and yet he can't afford drinks and brags about all the money he saves and how many toys he's got. He doesn't have any friends. It's sad. But it's reality.

So...what I'm getting at here is...what makes this guy different from me in personality? What makes ME, a fattie, more approachable than him? My charming smile, my effervescent demeanor? Perhaps the fact that I laugh and smile a lot to not only the familiar people but also the unfamiliar? I'm not sure. But you put the two of us, me and this weird guy, near each other at the same bar and people inevitably gravitate towards me more than they do him. Why?

I'd always grown up thinking that people don't like being around fat people...but that's not the case for me. People like being around me. More than they do being around this other guy.

Why? I'd love to hear opinions on this!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the strange guy at the bar:
I would have a hard time sitting next to him. People who are able to attract other people to them always seem to have a bubbly and outgoing personality. This guy seems to be a little on the "dull" side with the personality of a blow snake. Not only would I be a little nervous sitting next to him but I'd be very cautious. If he is unable to get involved in a truthful and meaningful conversation then he's probably got more problems than appear on the surface and he's obviously trying to hid something.
Size, color, race or creed should never make a difference in the way you interact with someone. But, if you get bad vibes from someone then there's a good reason to approach with caution or just stay away.
Some people like yourself have such a bubbly and very outgoing personality it radiates and people pick up on that. They immediately feel comfortable around you and have no trouble talking with you. I've noticed that a lot when I'm around you. I guess the most important thing is that you feel good about yourself and know you are a wonderful, talented, smart and beautiful individual and anyone would be lucky to have you as their friend.
And that's my brief but honest opinion.......
I love you.
Mom