Saturday, April 24, 2010

No more depression

So a blog that I follow, Ask Dr. Jacobson Online, went over a topic that I'd been curious about for some time.  Whether or not my Celexa was ok to be taking for depression and anxiety.  For a while now I've been thinking that I should wean myself off because I'm in a much better place in my life.  Sure, I'm unemployed, but I'm happy.  Kurt and I are doing great, I'm doing great in school, I'm making new friends...life is good.  Except for my weight.

So back to the article....it was on Weight Gain due to Pharmaceutical Antidepressants.  My Celexa was making me fatter...and making it so that I couldn't lose it!  What the heck???  My doctor (the idiot), never mentioned that curious side effect!  (I'm starting to dislike him even more!)  So, I made the choice to begin weaning myself off of them.  I'd just renewed my prescription the week before so I immediately halfed the rest of the pills that I had left.  I began taking half my dosage for 2 weeks.  Then this past week I've been taking the half dosage every other day.  This coming week I'll change it to twice per week (per my NEW doctor's suggestion) until they're gone.  She loved that I weaned myself off of them so intelligently.  (Go me!)  And what's even greater is that I feel awesome!  I feel fine.  I feel LESS emotional than I did while on them.  Go figure!

The funny thing is that the pharmacist told me yesterday when I was picking up the Phentramine that the Celexa and Phentramine have an adverse effect when taken together and to wait to start taking the Phentramine until about a week after the final Celexa dosage is gone to ensure that it's completely out of my system.  So it's a great thing that I've been going off of them!

I'm so excited for this next chapter in my life.  My first year back to school is ending....and I feel awesome for how well I've done so far.  How cool!

Can I hear a "hoorah!" for ME, ME, ME?!

2 comments:

TinaM said...

First I have to give you your Hoorah! :)
Next I have to say: I hope you are still feeling this good! I noticed your next post looks like you might be a little down... I hope that's not the case!
And Last, may I ask how old you are???

Shauna said...

Hi Tina! Thanks for visiting my blog!

I AM still feeling great...the last post is a graphic from a gal whose work I love. She draws those cute little graphics and posts them on her site. I generally put them up on my Facebook so that my friends can enjoy them, too. But this one made too much sense to not post it here, as well. I think everyone has one of those days when people ask if you're ok and you say yes but you want a hug anyway!

Anyway...yes, I'm fine! I'm great! And I'm 37.