Thursday, April 22, 2010

Last summer I was very trepidatious about returning back to school after so long.  And changing directions from anything and everything that I've ever done before that.  Would I be the youngest one in class?  Would I hate learning as much as I did when I was young?  Would I get lousy grades?  How would I adjust to being back in the saddle, so to speak?

I had a lot of questions....and it wasn't until Kurt almost kicked my physically out the proverbial door that I took the step.  Last year for his birthday we spent the day on TMCC campus, and for once I felt the faint stirrings of excitement.  Excitement that I'd finally be able to do what I love...eventually.  Excitement from taking one more step in the right direction from my life.  I was still working in Utah then...and I knew that the time was upon me to give notice and move back home with my husband.  We all needed to be a family again.

And so, after enrolling and being accepted, signing up for a loan, signing up for classes...I was on track.  But there was still the idea of the first day back to school.  Yikes!  It'd been so long!  Kurt had told me that when he went back to school he was so afraid that he missed the entire first week of classes!  I was not going to be like my sweet husband.  Hahaha.  I straightened my spine and took that step in the fall...and I've not regretted a single moment of it.

Fall semester began with me taking classes in Political Science (yes, me), History of Rock Music (very fun class thanks to Dan Robbins), and a college prep class.  In the latter I learned many techniques for studying, getting involved, working with others, etc.  Needless to say I finished up that semester with a 3.9 GPA.  I was so proud and was looking forward to starting the Spring semester where I'd be taking math, English (taught by a wonderful woman that I want to emulate in so many ways, Patty Cullinan), and Diversity (again a great instructor that I wish wasn't leaving but he is so he can devote his time to finishing his doctorate, Christopher Koch).  Again, I've surprised myself with how much fun I've been having.  I won't kid you...the work load was a lot heavier than my first semester back...but I've been able to tackle everything, so far, with good grades.  I was scared about math...no need for me to have been.  It's been so much fun to learn...and I'm actually grasping concepts that I'd never learned before.  Yay me!

But the best thing about starting back to school?  The one thing that I've loved more than the learning new things?  Meeting new people.  Making new friends.  I've made some good friends this last year in school.  I hope that the friendships are able to move with me as I go through the rest of my life.  Brenda and Kelly from my EPY class.  Angela, Debbie, Jeff from English.  Dan, my rock music instructor.  Studying with these people, talking with them, learning from them, and definitely laughing with them has enriched my life beyond measure and I thank them all for making such a difference...even if they had no idea.

And so here we are...wrapping up the Spring semester.  Only a few weeks left, if that.  Final pages of course syllabuses.  Lots of papers being written, tests being taken....it's making me a little melancholy.  Will I stay in touch with my new friends?  Or will the friendships fall to the wayside as so many other college relationships do.  I sure hope not...because, to me, they are more than just friends.  They're a part of my life.  And as I've said many times before...I love my life!

0 comments: