Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Amtrak

OK so here's my update on Amtrak and how well they deal with fat people's needs in particular.

First off...everyone was so friendly.  I never encountered any unfriendlies at all.  That was a relief in and of itself.  Nothing is worse than traveling with fat haters.  The conductors were awesome.  I didn't do much walking around going to Reno on the train.  It left at almost midnight and I was plum tuckered out.  Remember, my bedtime is normally at 8pm!  I did, however, have to go pee.  Whew.  Not a small feat!  Amtrak's normal size toilets are NOT, I repeat, NOT, made for fatties.  At all.  I could barely manage wedging my ass into the little space.  It's smaller than a jet toilet if you can imagine that.  It was bad.  And since it was frowned upon to use the toilets in other cars I had to make do with what was available....and that was just shitty.  No pun!

It was also COLD.  Not just cold, cold.  But FRIGID.  I think they had the A/C set to 50F!  It was freezing.  And silly me, not having been on a train before, wasn't really aware of what all to bring.  Now I do!  A BLANKET!!!!!!  I was lucky that I'd thrown a light sweater on on my way out the door to meet the train or I'd have been a popsicle by the time I arrived.

On my return on Amtrak I got a little braver.  For those of you looking to travel by train I do suggest this mode.  But be curious and ask questions.  Do not accept things as they are.  The second time around I asked where the nearest handicap toilet was and thankfully it was in my coach!  Woohoo!  Much better!  You can move around in there!  I also went down to the snack car and bought a sandwich and water.  They DO take credit and debit cards, people.  You do not need cash!  I had my blanket that I'd brought from home and I crashed hard on the way back.  I was so tired I kept waking up to my snores.  (Sleep apnea is such a pain.)

So, for those of you looking into traveling by Amtrak I highly suggest it.  The seats are side by side and for the most part if they see a single person traveling alone they don't bother with you and allow you to have both seats to stretch out on.  The footrests come up like a recliner chair and there are foot rests as well.  For the price...it was certainly worth it and I will do it again.


0 comments: