Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Men and bugs

You know how the stereotypical male is supposed to be big and strong and brave?  Well, let me tell you something that happened to myself and my husband a few days ago...

Lately, we've had a cricket just outside our kitchen window.  We still have the windows open so when he'd start up we could hear him throughout the house.  There's a big ol' bush outside of there so we figured that's where he was, because there are others in the other bushes just like it around the yard.  I believe that little guy was chirping his lil heart out for about 3 nights in a row before we didn't hear him anymore.  We figured he'd moved on...obviously he wasn't getting any action with the females in that locale, right? 

We were given a respite for one night and then we started hearing chirping coming from the front windows in the living room.  We hang out in there, so it was even more obvious than before...if that can even be possible!  He was LOUD.  I was curious to see just where he was, so I went outside and around to that window and he was muffled in sound.  The lil thing was INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!  So I go to the window inside and kind of pull the curtain aside to see if I could spot him anywhere nearby and couldn't...but he was definitely chirping away.  My husband kind of tapped the curtain with his hand, causing the little guy to quiet down for a few seconds before starting right back up again.  So my husband pulled the curtain back, again, to see if he could spot anything and then decided against leaning down for a closer look at the last second.  He swatted the curtain back closed and said something like, "I'm not going to mess with it!  I don't want it to jump out at me!"  I almost couldn't contain my laughter.  I did laugh.  I told him, "it's a good thing that we both don't like bugs!"  To which he indignantly responded, "well, at least I kill them when you ask me to."  I can't fault him there.  He does that.  When I'm squealing and jumping around, he calmly (even though I know his heart is racing) flattens the iniquitous bug with much aplomb.

1 comments:

TinaM said...

Haha!!!!
It's so funny, I have a newt that I have to buy/feed crickets to. Ray HATES them. Once in a while one might get out, he won't even attempt to get it. "Tina, come get this cricket!" LOL. I catch it and put it back in the tank :)
He's good for spiders though hahaha ;)