Sunday, December 5, 2010

This past week has allowed me to ponder on a lot of things that I'm thankful for in my life. Perhaps I always get this way during this time of year as I see the hub-bub of the holidays consume people; the retail rat race controlling the masses. There are a lot of things that I'm thankful for...my husband, most definitely, because he loves me in spite of my ditziness and fatness, and he keeps me grounded when I most need it. I've never known a man who was more perfect for me than him. I guess that makes it a good thing that I married him!

I'm thankful for our kids, they're growing and thriving and as far as I can tell...they're all pretty spoiled and happy!

I'm thankful for the opportunity that I'm able to get to know my dad again. After so many years of having him absent from my life, it's so nice to not only have him back in it, but somewhat nearby so that K and I can go see him from time to time.

I'm thankful for my step-dad. I've known him less than 10 years but I feel as though he's always been there as my father. He's so very giving and supportive and would give the shirt off of his back if he knew it would help. I couldn't ask for a better man as a dad and as a husband for my mom.

I'm thankful for the chance that I've had to reunite, albeit via facebook only at this point, with family on my dad's side. After my grandmother died I sort of lost touch with them and it's wonderful to be able to be back in contact with them, despite the fact that along with the reunion online, I also learned of the deaths of a favorite aunt and an uncle. I'd have liked to have known about my aunt and have attended her funeral. I guess my uncle didn't have a service.

I'm thankful for my sister, without her I'd never have an example of what not to do in life! I say that as a good thing. She just never seems to have her life under control and it saddens me that my sweet niece is a product of such instability. It is what it is, though.

Finally, I am thankful for my mom. I often complain about some of the things that she does, and I tell myself that I won't do some of those things...but overall, she's always been there for me. Without her presence in my life growing up, I'd have turned out more messed up than I am! Kidding, kidding... While my dad was rarely around when I was an older child, my mom was always there. She raised me well, with a good set of morals and I don't think that I turned out so bad. She's my mom, I will always love her, no matter how imperfect she is...after all, nobody IS perfect. I know that I'm not! She's done her best to always have a home for me to return to, she and my step-dad put me up for over a year while I was working in Utah a couple of years ago. I don't know how long she'll keep her house, the house where I grew up, because I know that they would both prefer a ranch style house, with just one floor. But for the time being, it's always great to go "home". I love to remember parts of my childhood and where they happened in the house and yard...I will miss that if it goes away, but will certainly understand if it does.

There is one thing that bums me out, though, and that is that I don't have many pics of us with me as a child. I wish that weren't the case.

Needless to say, I wouldn't be the woman that I am today without the care and love of my mom. We may not have been the most demonstrative family in the world, but I always knew that I was loved by her actions.

I love you mom!



0 comments: