Tuesday, May 4, 2010

3 Letter Word

F-A-T

It's just a word.  To some it packs more of a punch than to others.  It used to be that way for me.  Now?  Now I LIKE when little ones come up to me and tell me that I'm fat.  It allows me to open up a discussion about the way people look and how everyone has feelings no matter if they're socially acceptable, or not.  (In simpler terms, of course!)

F-A-T

It generally implies ugliness in people's minds.  They can't help it...it just does.  Society has TOLD us that fat is ugly.  To me, fat is only ugly when associated with gluttony.  Most of the fat people that I know are not gluttonous.  They're just people.  Unhappy with how they look.  Unhappy with the hand that life has dealt them.

F-A-T

Recently for a diversity paper that I was working on I came across a site that was pretty insightful as to how biased you are regarding different people.  Click here to take one of the tests.  It was surprisingly useful...not only towards my paper, but for me as a whole.  Mostly because I found that even I tend to have a slightly negative bias against fat people.  Go figure!  I always thought I wasn't that way...but even I have fell victim to some of society's norms.  I don't like it.

F-A-T

It's easy to be termed fat in the medical profession.  Most people are considered overweight to obese and don't even realize it.  Those are the people who always need to lose 30 pounds.  That's not a lot.  At least not when you compare it to what I need to lose!

FAT
CAT
SAT
on
a
MAT.

Just words, people.  Not an epithet.  Not a derogatory word.  Just a word.  A simple word.  A word that they teach youngsters learning to read.  Don't read more into it than really needs to be there.  It's only a word.  Learn new words like....considerable, oleaginous, stubby, grandiose, avoirdupois, corpulent, great, hefty, rotund, stout, weighty....prize, rich, splendid, stupendous, superfluous....PRIDE.  Fat can be fun.  I like to refer to myself as avoirdupois....it makes people look at me silly.

Next time...try it.  Have fun.  And be happy.  As one of the greatest people I've had the pleasure of meeting likes to say...Life IS Good!

0 comments: