Friday, May 21, 2010

Sarah Smiles

In the final paper of my diversity class we reflected back upon the semester and what we'd learned and the experiences that we'd went through to get there.

I felt it imperative that I write about the friends that I'd made in the class...most especially one.  Her name is Sarah.  If we had more in common we'd be besties in another dimension.  Haha.

This is Sarah!


Anyway, she sent me her paper before she submitted it to see what I thought (we did this often to exchange ideas, etc.) and she said the sweetest thing about me.  I asked her if I could write about it on my blog and she agreed...and then it got put on my blog topic to-do list.  (Yeah, I have a list of stuff to talk about...don't you?)

Anyway, this is so sweet...this is what she wrote about me:

...In all honesty I connected with one person who is absolutely wonderful!! Shauna actually helped me break out of my shell she would constantly get me talking in class and ask me questions about being gay or this or that. She is completely comfortable with whom she is and has no fear talking about it, and if she is scared or upset she does a damn good job of hiding it. She really showed me to have no fear of what everyone else thinks and just be me, I mean hell if she likes me I am doing pretty good.


It's always worried me that I would never make an impact on people.  Yes, I worry about that kind of thing.  I know one person who does that in my life and I want to be like her.  Her name is Norma and she is my mother-in-law.  I want to leave this world one day and know that I did my best to be kind to everyone, to be respectful and non-judgmental to the best of my abilities.  I don't hate and I want others to see that about me.  Unfortunately, when you're morbidly obese people tend to not look at you like that, you get more disgusted looks than anything else.

Anyway, I wanted Sarah to know that she greatly affected my life in the past semester, as well.  Thank you for being so accepting of ME.  You're a kind-hearted woman and I hope that in whatever journey you choose for your life that you find peace.  I do hope we are able to keep in touch.

Btw, Sarah, remember the first day of class when I asked if you'd ever heard the song, Sara Smiles by Hall & Oates?  You couldn't remember but thought MAYBE your mom had played it for you once when you were little?  This is for you!


Press play to listen if you're COOL!


7 comments:

TinaM said...

That was really sweet :) I hope you 2 stay in touch, a truly good friend is hard to come by.

I am a month new to facebook. I KNOW I would be addicted to farmville and all kinds of other games. So I REFUSE to click on ANY of them LOL!!!

TinaM said...

btw, your facebook link doesn't work... at least not for me anyway...

Shauna said...

Hey Tina! I've had several people try the link and it works for them. I'm not sure why it's not working for you. :(

Shauna said...

Oh! How does one find you on FB?

TinaM said...

I just tried it again, maybe it's just me! LOL!
You can find me on facebook, my namce is Tina West and my picture is a little evil...ninja...bunny? LOL!
I have only given that to one other blogger, and like I told him- my family and everybody doesn't know about my blog or that I'm triying to loose weight. Not that you'd go on there and post my weight or anyhting, but just a heads up LOL :) I'd appriciate it if you didn't mention my blog if ever posting anything on FB.
Thanks!

Shauna said...

You're the second "fat" blogger that I've added who doesn't want people to know about their blog. LOL. I'll keep your secret. :)

There are over 500 Tina West's. What city? If you use an email to log on what is it and I can find you that way, too. Or you can find me...I'm a lot easier to locate. I'm listed on there as Shauna Equality Hummell.

TinaM said...

Oh, I didn't even think of how many there might be! LOL, sorry about that! I'm glad you found me :)

Thanks for keeping my secret :) I don't want family to know that I'm trying to loose weight. I don't want them to be studying me evertime they see me, or to feel obligated to say anything... mostly, I get to vent about my problems, and my family. I can't talk about them if they are reading!!! LOL!!!