Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Birds don't do drama

Click play to listen whilst reading this post:



After my diversity class today I was leaving the building when I heard a bird singing in the trees next to the entrance. Normally, as most people do, I'd have continued on after taking note of the lovely sound...but today, as lately I've been prone to do...I decided to stop and listen. My eyes sought out the musical culprit in the tree and I smiled.

Maybe it's because I have two parrots at home that makes me enjoy birds more than the average person. Or maybe it's just the fact that I'm an animal lover and can appreciate every creature's individual gift to the world. Whatever it is....I love to listen and watch birds. Their antics are fun and amusing and I love that they're just as happy splashing around in a puddle of water as they are in a small pile of dirt. I love watching them interact with each other at the feeder in my front yard and I enjoy taking their photos. We have all kinds of birds that visit us...Finches, Robins, Doves, Chickadees, Blue Jays and even pigeons (although I generally shoo the pigeons away). They're all so beautiful in their own rights...including the pigeons! Have you ever noticed the gorgeous iridescent colored feathers on pigeons? Or the shockingly black and white feathers on Chickadees? Have you ever noticed how cunning the jay birds are in hiding their precious treasures around the yard? They remember where they've hidden EVERYTHING!

Anyway, they remind me that life is much less complex if I stop and listen to the simple things. I suggest that in the coming week we all take a moment at some point to stop and enjoy a flowering bush, a bird's call, a child's laugh on the playground, or a friend's touch to let you know that they're there and that they empathize.



0 comments: