Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What blogging is to me

A friend recently asked me if blogging was cathartic for me.  She also mentioned that it must take a bit of confidence to put myself out there.

So I started thinking about what blogging means to me.

Is it cathartic?  I'd say yes, indeed.  But it's fun, too.  I've always enjoyed writing and have done so since I was young.  It started with dogz and katz and progressed to what it is today.  In junior high and high school I loved to write short stories.  I remember always having a story in the works and my classmates would always bug me to read the latest installment.  I can't say I'm still in such high demand...but I do still love writing.  And I've moved from fiction to, well, blogging about myself and my life.  I'm an expert at my life.  Being short and fat?  Ask me anything and I can draw from my vast personal experience for the answer.  I love to blog.

I love to blog.  I love to write down things that happen to me.  Sometimes I have a lot to say, as it seems that I do lately when I SHOULD be studying for finals!  (EEK!)  And sometimes I will go a couple of weeks without saying much at all.  Sometimes it's because I'm busy, or out of town, or sometimes it's just cuz I'm not exciting to myself enough to write about.  Haha.

What do I consider unique about my blog in particular?  Well, most fatties who keep blogs are keeping it weight-loss based.  My blog isn't about weight loss.  Granted, I am trying to lose weight...but that's not the gist of it.  The gist is what my life is about, and has been about since childhood* -- being short and fat.

Does it take confidence to write about myself and put it out there on the world wide web for anyone to access?  A bit, yes.  But I really don't think of it like that.  I enjoy hearing from readers...I enjoy hearing what they have to say or input that they can give on any topic that I've decided to write about at any given time.**  Besides, like I told her, it's still got a modicum of anonymity unless you know me personally in one form or another.


*Still waiting for that growth spurt that they promised me would happen when I hit puberty!
**That's a hint people....more comments, please!!!  We all like reading about ourselves!

0 comments: