Monday, May 31, 2010

Sisters

My sister and I have always been opposites. She was tall and thin to my short and fat, that one was always obvious; but there were other differences, also.



I wish I could say that I always knew she'd have my back...but that wasn't the case. Not then and not now. There was always the invisible line of her life and mine and they rarely overlapped except in the instance of family.

Lisa, it seemed, drew the short stick when it came to education. She was never as smart as I was and she envied that about me. Meanwhile, I envied the fact that she always seemed to gain our parents favor by doing things to get herself into trouble. I was always the good kid and my parents knew that and never had to worry about me. Now, I see that as a good thing. Back then, it just made me jealous.

I'd love to say that presently we're best of friends and have found a lot that we have in common. I wish I could say that. But I can't. Lisa loves her VERY country home in the middle of nowhere on a mountain where the nearest bit of civilization is 30 minutes down winding roads of a mountain and the nearest neighbor is 15 minutes away. I love my urban life in Reno. Love it! I would never be able to live the life that my sister does. And this past week of staying with her has proven that fact time and again to myself.

I love my sister, I do. But having nothing in common doesn't exactly help in bringing us together. She loves horses, I love shopping. She doesn't like kids (although she has a couple) and I love them. She loves cats (a LOT of them!) and I love dogs. We're night and day. Oil and water.

Lisa and I are sisters. We're friends. We're acquaintances. But if I'm in trouble or just need someone to talk to I'd never pick up the phone to call her. It's just not the way that it is.

It's a shame. I miss having a sister.

0 comments: