Sunday, August 16, 2009

Being unprepared

Once upon a time my husband and I had a nice nest egg happening.  We were both making good money and was able to build up a savings.  It was nice.  We didn't worry about money.  We didn't worry about buying food or paying bills.  We were able to take a vacation every year and things were good.

Of course life changes...evolves.  And when that happens sometimes we're not always prepared for the outcome.  I was never prepared for being as poor as we are now.  I know it's for the greater good...with me going back to school and finding a career that I will enjoy for the rest of my professional life.  But in the interim...being poor SUCKS.  SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS!

Friday afternoon my husband calls me up after work and says he's going to be late in getting home because one of his tires went flat.  (There's two bald tires on his car so this wasn't surprising news.)  So he put the donut on and came home.  He doesn't want to drive his car with that on there and we can't afford even a used tire at the moment so it's sort of waiting for money to start coming in again before we replace it.  So last night I was taking my husband over to his friend's house for gaming (my husband is a D&D freak) and we stopped at the corner store for him to pick up some beer for while he was there.  He ran in while I waited in the car with the windows down and sunroof open.  (No, he didn't rob the place.)  He came back out and I went to start my car and nothing happened.  Nothing.  No power.  No lights.  No sounds.  Absolutely NOTHING.  One car already in commission and now this happens to my newer car?!  This can't be happening, I was thinking.  Argh.  So here I am in my PJ's (because who knew I would have to get out of the car when I was just taking him to his friends) getting out of the car and peering under the hood (that my husband had to have someone help him open since neither of us are mechanically savvy) trying to see something that looked like it might be out of place.  Keep in mind...we're not car people.  We're not motor-heads, by any means.  EVERYTHING under there looks foreign to us.  So my husband wiggles the battery cables and stuff and I go back and get in the car...which is by then beeping at me that I left the keys in it.  So I knew I had power again.  It started up and we were on our way.

We would have been in some serious trouble had there been a real problem with my car.  We can't afford to pay for car repairs and didn't have another car to fall back on.

Have I mentioned how I HATE being poor????  I HATE being poor!!!

0 comments: