Wednesday, July 28, 2010

2 am

There are a lot of drawbacks to being awake every night at 2am.

But there are positive things, too.

For instance, I was just sitting here at the computer with the door to the front open next to me, when I heard rain softly falling outside.  Rain wasn't/isn't on the forecast, and yet, here it is, softly falling.  If I were asleep, I'd have missed this beautiful experience.  So, I asked the dogs if they wanted to go outside with me, (of course!), and we all went outside and danced in the rain...twirling and laughing and having a good time.  OK, I twirled and laughed in the rain; they just stood on the porch under the roof and stared at me like I was insane!  It started to rain even harder, and the more it rained the more fun I had!

The point I'm making here, and yes, there's a point, no matter how vague, is that you should never be afraid to dance in the rain at 2am!  I don't think I've had that much fun in a very long time.  We're talking childhood.  I haven't danced in the rain, laughing and singing with my face lifted to the sky and my arms outstretched since I was a child.  And that, my friends, is a very sad fact.

Why do we throw away our fanciful charms that we had as children, when we grow up?

I'll tell you one thing...the next time I'm up at this hour, and it's raining, and it's summertime...I'm going out to dance in it!  AGAIN!