Thursday, July 15, 2010

Meds and stuff

So last week I didn't do so well with following a healthy food plan and I ended up gaining weight back.  *Sigh*  I just can't seem to get below that goal line, darnit!

Yesterday, I went to the doctor and she put me back on Celexa.  I tried, and I get points for that, to go off of it.  But I have such high anxiety levels that it affects every other part of my life if I don't have a way to mentally control it....so....back to Celexa.  I'm also starting something called Metformin.  I asked her about taking hormones to regulate my body....with PCOS you never have periods and you always have zits.  Geez...how fun, is that???  So, I brought it up and she thought that I'd do well to take Metformin.  There are many things that we're hoping to fix with this particular drug.  Weight loss.  It's a side effect.  Here's hoping I have it!!!  Hunger control.  It's supposed to regulate the insulin in my blood so that my blood sugar level isn't so high.  (I don't have diabetes...but if I don't take control now, it may turn into it.)  It's also supposed to stimulate my metabolism.  And, it's supposed to make me ovulate and have periods again.  Wow!  All that in one tiny little pill...twice a day!

I really hope it works.

So there you have it.  Weight gain...and new prescriptions.

Oh, one other thing.  My doctor prescribed, also, that I take Phentermine along with the celexa and Metformin.  At the pharmacy they freaked out because apparently there's some REALLY HUGE side effects that can happen if I mix the two.  As you know from before, Phentermine is also an aid for weight loss.  It's supposed to speed up the metabolism and help with hunger.  The pharmacy contacted my doctor to see if that's what she really wanted to do...and she gave the OK on it.  However, I'm not going to take it right now.  I just don't feel comfortable doing it.  So I'm hoping that the Metformin workds and that I won't have to take the other.  I have it set aside for right now.  More on that later, I suppose.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go dance in a circle with my Emily dog!

0 comments: