Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Weight loss

Some of you have been wondering how much weight I've lost since I started my new journey back in February.  And, without any exercise, and battling crazy meds, I've lost 25 pounds so far.

I believe, and many of you have expressed concern, that I can lose 25 more in a month.  I know it's not going to be easy.  But with exercise, the RIGHT diet and plenty of water...I can do this.  And I'll feel awesome about myself because of it!

So on that note....

Because of the metformin that I'm taking I need to increase the protein/fiber that I have in my diet.  Always good for a diet anyway, right?  So, has anyone tried whole wheat spaghetti noodles?  Talk about delish! 

Anyone else have any money friendly suggestions for good food for pre-diabetic diets?  Obviously, low carbs and sugars....but other suggestions would be awesome!

6 comments:

TinaM said...

I don't want you to think I doubt you, I don't. I know you can loose 25 pounds in a month if you put your mind to it... but I just worry how healthy that would be for you... AND I just want you to feel awesome whether you loose 25 or not! :)

We love that taco soup, it's in the 'recipe' page on my blog. I would think it is low on sugars and carbs. It's a WW recipe, like chili. It's a lot of canned stuff and lean meat, so might be high on the sodium?

Rose Young said...

I've been taking a lot of Fiber Choice pills, 4-6 a day, and I switched to Fiber One muffins and breads (actually their English Muffins are awesome). Start slow with the pills as they create farts!

Shauna said...

I know, Tina. I don't want to disappoint myself, either. And I won't. And I promise I'll do it healthy. I don't want to gain anything back, either!

B...what do the fiber choice pills do that you don't get in a high fiber diet? Just extra fiber/protein? We've started being really health conscious with the breads that we buy, we've never bought white breads, anyway, but we tend to buy a lot of whole wheat stuff.

Talkin' about farts! THAT'S what metformin does for me!!!

hhtessa@hotmail.com said...

Hi Shauna, congrats on your 25 pound lose. Just think of it as being 2.5 bags of potatoes gone forever. I wish you well with your goal and hope that you can achieve it. My husband is a diabetic so we have to really watch the carbs in our house. We love the whole wheat pastas but try to limit them to no more than twice a week. Tina's suggestion of Taco Soup is a good one and it even tastes great made with ground turkey instead of beef. It sounds as if you have a lot to be thankful for and that your friends are always there for you, that is such a bright spot when things seem so gloomy. Good for you and for them for having such a wonderful friendships.

TinaM said...

OK, as long as you promise :)

Shauna said...

I'm totally gonna have to check out that taco soup recipe, Tina! I do love me some tacos! I normally just have taco salads...minus the chips, of course. Way healthy!

Thank you, Tessa...it's always fun to hear from new people!