Sunday, October 24, 2010

Faint, not feint

Friday night I had another fainting spell.  It's the second time that I've actually fainted since I started on my blood pressure medication a couple of years ago.  Frankly, I questioned whether or not I needed to go on it to begin with...but trusting in the advise of my doctor, I agreed.  My blood pressure before I started taking Lisinopril was approximately 130/90'ish...give or take.  Now it's not uncommon for it to be around 100/70.  Needless to say, that's a considerable drop.  I think it's a bit TOO considerable, which is probably why the light-headedness that followed.  Anyhoo...it was probably about a month after I began taking it that I had my first fainting spell.  I was at work, just leaning back in my chair, and the next thing I knew I was opening my eyes, was very confused, and my boss was looking at me and asking me if I was okay.  That was the first time that I ever fainted.

Ever since, I've had the craziest feelings come over my body when I stand up and/or stretch.  I get really light-headed, and my entire body kind of has this tingley, out-of-body feeling about it.  It sounds crazy...but if you suffer from the same thing then you totally know what I'm talking about.  I've came really close to fainting numerous times since the start of the meds...but until Friday night, I'd only actually full-on fainted the one time.  Generally when I stand up, I stretch...it's habit, it's what I do...it's what a lot of people do.  Stretching feels good, it loosens up the muscles that have went unused for a little while, and gets the blood pumping again.  For most people with normal blood pressure levels, it's no big deal.  It wasn't a big deal for me before the meds.  But now, it's a crazy, lurchy feeling in the pit of my tummy...

So anyway, Friday night, I'd just stood up from my recliner and was walking into the bathroom (not a long walk, perhaps a few feet through a mini hallway), and I started getting the funky feeling mid-way.  So I stopped, propped my arms out against the walls on either side of me, and was just standing there...

Next thing I knew I was singing the same song that was running through my head when I was standing...but I was lying prone, staring up at the ceiling and watching K walking towards me from the couch, and asking me if I hit my head and if I was okay.  I was a bit confused, realized what must have happened, and was a little weirded out.  But I was fine, afterwards.  No problem.  But, it does force me to beg the question...should I be taking blood pressure meds anymore...or maybe if such a high dosage.  It's not a high dose, anyway, but still....

With my regular exercise these days, I don't know if it's necessary anymore to be taking it...especially when it causes me to feel this crazy when I just stand up..let alone when I faint.

I have another doctor's appointment in December as a follow-up to a couple other meds that I've been taking, as well as to check-in with my weight loss (yes, I finally sought the help from a doctor regarding my weight loss).  I'll talk to her then about what's going on.  Unless I faint again, in which case, I'll probably call her sooner than that!

2 comments:

Andrew(ajh) said...

Can the dosage of the medication be varied?

TinaM said...

You should call her sooner. Like today.