Sunday, October 24, 2010

Lack of an appetite

(As I've mentioned previously...I go for so long without posting, or posting only a weekly update, and then suddenly I become a posting fiend!)

One of the drugs that I was put on by my doctor, due to a pre-diabetic situation and crazy hormone levels, is Metformin.  Now, I know that I've talked about this before, and it'll probably pop up from time to time later on, as well.

One of the grant side-effects of Metformin is that you have any number of a variety of Gastro Intestinal issues as side effects such as bloating, diarrhea, nausea, gas, headaches, blah, blah, blah....

The main side effect for most is diarrhea.  Most suffer from it on a daily basis....I get it from time to time...but not every day.  My biggest problem is bloating.  My stomach feels constantly full.  Sometimes so much that I feel like I can't take in a deep breath because of it; or even that I can't breath normally.  Naturally that isn't the case, and it's just the crazy side effects.

One of the things that it does is stabilize the insulin levels.  I have wonky levels due to various other issues, namely being fat, and so I was always craving sweet stuff and carbs, because my body was always thinking that it was needing them.  Nowadays, not only do I not suffer from those cravings, but I don't crave food at all.  Don't get me wrong...I enjoy food, I love food.  But these days, the idea of eating anything, even fruit, makes me nausous and want to vomit.  The result is that I end up forgetting to eat, because I don't want to eat...and then, of course, I don't get enough calories in, which we all know makes your body go into starvation mode, yada yada...

So I set timers to remind me to eat meals and snacks.  I never in a million years imagined that I'd have to FORCE myself to eat enough of something so that I got enough calories in.  It's the oddest thing.  Nowadays, I eat less than my husband...that's NEVER been the case!  Ever!

So, despite the bloating feeling, I'm totally lovin' my Metformin.

Metformin....ask your doctor about it today!  Haha.  I am in no way getting paid to plug this drug.  Haha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shauna! Thanks for commenting on my blog. Can't wait to follow along with you on your journey!

Carla

Anonymous said...

Hi Shauna! Thanks for commenting on my blog. Can't wait to follow along with you on your journey!

Carla