Friday, June 18, 2010

Remember back when you were young and chubby and so darn self-conscious about the whole deal, that when someone called you fat it was mortifying and distressing and hurtful?  What happens now?  Does it matter who's saying it?  Does it matter if it's a man or woman?  Child or adult?  Teenager?

I'd love your input.



I've come to terms with it.  I call myself fat...why on earth can't others?  I mean, all one has to do is look at me and know it's a fact.  It's not as though I can argue the point!  It doesn't hurt, anymore.  And if it's a child, it's all the better because I can help them see that even if I AM fat, I'm still an awesome person.  I love kids...they're so refreshingly honest and moldable.

So tell me how you used to react and if it's changed at all.  I wanna know!



3 comments:

TinaM said...

I've always been heavy. But only actually called fat a few times. Each time it pissed me off, but really not to bad. Ever since I've been young I really don't care what people think of me... so I guess I just let it roll off my back.
The last time though was in a grocery store. Me and my son were just walking and minding our own buisness and this lady and her 2 teenage kids are walking by and she says to them: Do you know that America if the fattest country in the whole world." All snotty and out of no where. My son was talking to me and didn't even notice, so I couldn't really say anything. I'm not afraid to get into it with people, especially ignorant people like that. But her kids were there, my son was there so I just ignored it.

The bitch looked like a strung out crack head first of all, and obviously isn't very happy with herself if she acts like that!!! I feel bad for her kids.

Shauna said...

I don't know when the last time was that I was called fat to my face...in a conversation that I didn't start. We discussed my blog and what it means to be fat in my diversity class this last semester...that was fun. Haha. I guess I just see it as an opportunity to educate. So many people think fatties are slovenly or lazy...and while some are, yes, most are not. And it's not as though we enjoy it!

I'd probably have said something if I'd been in your place. But then I tend to speak first and think after. Haha.

TinaM said...

Oh, I always speak first and think later LOL. Only when my son is their do I tend to actually think about it :)
I forgot to say: I love the Dr. Phil pic/line lol.